Home » Rests of Europe » Lost in Paris

Lost in Paris

Traveling in large group has its ups and downs. There has to be a lateral decision on where to go and what to do. You got to be mindful of the whereabouts of others. Accountability is a must. You have to wait and be waited. One person goes to the store, then everyone has to go as well or wait outside. You can wander around, but never lose distacet. It’s hard to ask when you want to break off from the group. We do get separated into smaller groups every time. Even then, it’s hard to accommodate or please every one.

I’m not an ideal companion for traveling. I’m always stopping. I get behind everybody. It eats me inside whenever I assigned to push strollers of the kids. (Ooops, don’t tell their parents. I’m always glad to help.) I get lost. And I don’t always come back at designated time of return. I once did it in Amsterdam. I shamefully came back alone while everyone was waiting impatiently for me. They were speculating it’s because of the Red Light District. Well, I have no amnesty to reveal. I swear I really got lost from wandering around. That’s the same response I gave when I pulled into question and got a fair warning not to get lost again.

Unfortunately, scatterbrain as I am, I did got lost, once again, in Paris.

I blame Paris. It is so awesome to be there. Even just the idea of being there, I can just breathe in and sigh to the thought of being to one of the most famous city in the world. I could go on and on but it’d be just beating like a hammer. Paris is Paris. You know what to expect.

Lots of places to see, I felt like I don’t want to miss a single path. Out of the 7 countries we visited in 9 days, Paris is the one we chose to stay for 2 days. It’s so easy to get lost in Paris for its beauty. It is also hard to get back. Wha-wha-what happened wa-was… We mind the parking time expiration. I thought I had a little bit more time so I skedaddled taking left turn from the rest of the group and continued my gander. Next time I know, the buildings look the same. The street names are confusing. I was using the Arc de Triomphe but it was still misleading me to wrong directions. And, forgetful than I am, I couldn’t really remember the look of the street to where we parked from the first place. The long distance call got through, I got contacted and was told to meet where everyone was. What happened after the reunion is the mumbling version of what you just read.

The next morning, I had a leash on and my hands were tied.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I did remember when a group of us singles cut loose of the group and went to a sit down restaurant. We get to just relish the moment, indulge in French cooking and to simply relax and enjoy. That pause was quite unforgettable.

Amidst of this all, I heartily treasure every person of the large group I attached myself with when I was Europe. They’ve always been there for me. They can always go pass my screw up’s.

I’m not just trying to sound nice. I put aside the disadvantages of traveling with large group. I truly believe the pro’s outweigh the con’s. You have other people to experience things with. You get to enjoy the location, even when it’s not the most favorable. You get to find something to get a kick at. And, you instantly have someone to take a picture of you, and you have others to take pictures with.

1. Some great pictures of Paris, especially the one of the Eiffle Tower.

2. Christina says:

I agree with Andrew, the Eiffle Tower pic is amazing. No wonder you got lost in Paris!

3. Nandini says:

I loved the second photo. Brilliant shot. :)

4. rommel says:

I had to kneel to take that pic and assume the role of a real tourist in Paris. Hehe. That second pic is actually point and shoot. Some of the others are DLSR.

Thank you all for the comments and likes.

5. Jakori says:

Great pictures. I find it very hard to travel in large groups. Especially when traveling to Paris:) Each person wants to see different things.

Sure thing. Everyone breaks off eventually. No matter how you plan, disorganization happens.
      Even crossing the street can trigger frustration when traveling with large group. But still, it more fun when you’re with a lot of people when traveling.
      ;)

6. priyankakher says:

I want to go to Paris…I suppose just like everyone else. Your pictures have inspired me to do that as soon as possible:)

7. gelaikuting says:

i wanna go to Paris <3

8. rommel says:

I wanna go to Paris again. And, get lost again! :D

9. nelson RN says:

I would love to get lost in Paris too!
    Excellent shots, Rommel!

10. Sony Fugaban says:

I wouldn’t mind getting lost in this romantic city of LIGHTS. Thanks for somehow complementing the yearning in me. I mean, this is also one of the places I dreamt of setting foot on.

11. rommel says:

I truly am blessed to have traveled these places in Europe and I recognize it. As for my hopes, I wish to do some adventure travels as well.

Paris is a great place to get lost in. I like to travel alone, then I can take as long as I like in places which may be of no interest to anyone else. I don’t always travel alone and some things are better done with friends. I like to go alone the first time and then drag a friend to my favourite spots.

13. Madman says:

Group travels are not my way either. Like you I get lost, late, behind but cannot bear it when it happens to others.

14. […] felt bad disappointing the people who waited for me when I got lost in Paris. Who’s a fool to say they regretted exploring the city farther than they […]

15. Beautiful set of pictures, makes me want to go back there again :)

16. rommel says:

Thanks for the visit.

17. tita buds says:

I skipped Paris because I wasn’t with my husband during the trip and they say it’s the most romantic city in the world, one should never go there with only a friend, haha. I hope to go there with him soon. The pictures are wonderful. Getting lost there is definitely not a thing to regret. :)

18. rommel says:

Hu-what!? I guess you have your reason. But still, declining an invitation to visit Paris!? Hmp … Well hope you get there someday.

Nice seeing you back tita buds.

19. aRVee says:

I want to get lost in Paris too… With a place such as this, who doesn’t want to… haha…

I agree, traveling with a large group is not that desirable but glad to know you enjoyed the trip.

Great shots and great post…

20. mommywritervkent says:

Beautiful photos! Seeing them made me feel like I could really be standing there looking at the Eiffel Tower and everywhere else :D thanks for sharing these.

21. khrysskroez says:

best angle of the Eiffel Tower I’ve ever seen….:)

22. […] Paris:  Lost in Paris [From the Category Cloud: Rest of Europe] […]

23. […] I wanted to write the story except that I’m awful at narration. That’s why I use the this is this, that is that method on my travel posts. None of my posts really fully narrate a story. I hate recalling events. I really have to find creative ways to play around when my post requires a story-telling. I guess best examples of my horibble story-telling are Running with a Bull where I had to post a video, actually I didn’t expected that a lot of commentators wowed to the story. I also reminisced the time when I got Lost in Paris.   […]

24. Looks like you got some rainy days in Paris!

25. Silving says:

That meal looks very good! :D And the photo of the Tower is excellent!

26. Dude, you are so cool! I wish I had the chance to travel like you do. But I am stuck to my low tech computer, my sort-of couch and my non-stop day dreaming!

27. dfolstad58 says:

Smart you to have a blog of your travels. I enjoy your relaxed writing style because it feels like you are just sharing your thoughts while showing me the pictures. The pictures of Capri and Paris are well done including your meal. Some the pictures in Paris look professional quality. Where next?

Thank you so much for your keen observation.
      The focus on the blog is currently where I’m residing, California. I recently have Flashback Friday for my non Californian travels. Cabrillo, Venice Beach, San Diego Zoo, my Ojai hikes and Route 66 destinations are next to my line up. Outside California are my Italy and Philippine travels. thanks for asking.

28. itsmecherry says:

I want to be lost in Paris too. But, with someone special and without anyone waiting :) Your photos and your stories almost brought me there. Reading posts like these somehow gives me more courage to save and pursue my dream of going there. I wanna walk along the empty streets of Paris on a rainy afternoon; stare at the Eiffel Tower and think of none…

Okay, well … uhm, in case you did, don’t stare at the Eiffel Tower for too long. It’s too high, you’ll get a stiffed neck. hehehehe. Just joking. :D
      Thanks for commenting, Cherry.

29. Haven’t been to Paris yet, but I’ll have to go. Great photo of the Eiffel Tower! Very original.

30. Vanessa T. says:

Ultra cool post!! I longed to visit Paris all my life. After looking at these pictures, I definitely must go there! :D

31. bucketdave says:

I’ve struggled to balance the equation of freedom of solo travel vs. the companionship of group travel for a long time. I’m happy to see that I’m not the only one thinking this way. Good post.

I want to get lost in Paris again, again, and … :D

33. […] Visiting the Katimbang family (see post before this), I went to San Diego this weekend. It was a four-day staycation for me. I was also touring around California our old friend way back when we were all in Missisippi. While I thoroughly enjoyed the company that I don’t normally get, my travel opportunities, however, became limited. It was quite frustrating quite frankly. I dare not to elaborate further not to sound such a very mean tattletale. Let’s just say that I didn’t get anywhere on my destination plans in San Diego. Anyhow, the disappointment were replaced with great conversations of new and old times. I guess, it still worth the long drive. Traveling with group sure has the “inner” benefits, but in all physicality, going solo gives you umpteen possibilities and freedom. See my post here about traveling in groups vs. solo – Lost in Paris. […]

34. Oh the pictures of my beloved Paris!
    I’m glad you enjoyed your time there. You know, getting lost in Paris is the best way to discover the city. I don’t remember how many times I got lost. Sometimes on purpose…
    Thank you for stopping by my blog.
    Best to you with your travel trips.

Community