Home » California » Near and Far: Europe and California

Near and Far: Europe and California

VENICE – Tops: California, Bottoms: Italy

I badly wish to go back to Europe. But I can’t complain as much. Not only that I’ve been very blessed to have gone there, the place I’m currently in ain’t too shabby for my travel fix. Plus, it really isn’t hard to cross-culture here in California.

Villas – Design of Getty Villa {Bottom) is inspired by The Villa of Papyri in Herculaneum (Top).

I really enjoyed the neat idea I came up with when I Merge: Herculanem and Getty Villa. And so, I tweak it a bit for my entry of Near and Far. The images in this post are places in California where you can imagine or reminisce different locations in Europe. Not what the challenge is looking for, but I’ve been known as a notorious  WPC rule-breaker.

Spanish Footsteps – Top Right: Rodeo Drive, California, Top Left and Bottom: Rome, Italy. Related post: Journey

I like to know. Anything around your area, or places you’ve been to, that resembles, comparable to, or is based from another location or site from a different country?

Alcazar Garden – Left: Sevilla, Spain, Right: Balboa Park

The next one is with the help of sister, Analyn. She’s quite a globetrotter as well.

Danish – Tops: Solvang, Bottom: Copenhagen, Denmark (picture courtesy of my sister)

This post is part of Flashback Friday. *sticks tongue out*

______________________________________________________

Here is Loni. Check out her Yosemite posts. Check out her Venice post. Check out her Mud Run post. Check out the one where she got on TV. Check out her Anniversary post and the different places her and her husband have gone to. Check out her Academy post. Check out food, places of mainly California, and her wide-eye impressive photographs. My favorite however is  her 100th post where she showed her “Loni Exhibit”, These are some of my favorite things. Go ahead and Check out how Loni Found Herself.

That’s very clever and well observed!

Great photos, Rommel. I’ve been to both sets of Spanish Steps. :)

I think that’s the one who I think they didn’t really do that of a good job resembling to the original. Anyhow, it’s still a nice find and it’s awesome to compare both. :D

3. Beautiful shots! I felt like I literally was over there too…

4. Nicely done of comparing similar shots/places in Europe with those around California. Excellent job.

5. Solo says:

Miring your pics as usual, do you get paid to travel?

6. Silving says:

I also have quite some photos of Copenhagen on my blog ;)

I love it when you merge photos from several different places. You are a master at this Rommel! Since I have not been to Europe yet, you are quenching my thirst until I get there. Thanks! :)

I’ve been to both sets of Spanish steps too……love them both.

What happened to the comment I left here….? Ok, maybe I’m seeing double now! :lol:
    Keep the great photos coming… I’m looking forward to getting a wide angle lens for my other Canon. :-)

10. Loni Found Herself says:

This is a great post (love this idea!) And thank you for your kind words about my blog. Very nice of you!

Well, thank you for the awesome posts. I haven’t gotten around the places you’ve been to but I’ll get to it in time. I picked up a lot from your blog.

11. torreywall says:

Yes, it’s amazing to see how the culture of Andalusia has shaped California’s architecture, place names and landscape. (I think our palm trees came from there or other Moorish lands.) Great post.

Hmmmm … Well when I first looked at the collage, I did find the palm trees highly noticeable from both locations that I wondered about it for a bit. Sounds interesting.
      Thanks for the input, torreywall.

12. Fantastic! I know the California spots, but have never been to the European counterpart! I really enjoyed your juxtaposition of both. So clever, as well as beautiful! Debra

13. This is such a cool idea! Your photos make me want to go to ALL of these places!

14. mariannecommunicates says:

your pics make me want to go back to Europe as well. i so love the comparison you have on 2 places… great observations. can I borrow your idea on one of my next posts? :)

15. Paulina says:

these are really great!! i love the side by side comparisons =)

16. oh, you brought back the interesting ‘so much like venice’ photos! and an interesting way at that. I think it’s more possible for me to visit the California scene right now. =>

17. Nevenr been to Venice. Never been to California either… Would I love to go? Yes, I would.

18. erica0407 says:

Interesting observations. I need to visit Venice, CA again sometime soon :) The last time I was there was when I was a teenager, when a $5 palm reader told me I would be great with kids and a great writer someday. Hopefully I won’t let her down…

I would love for you to go there, and see how you and Matthews photograph it. You’ll love their garden and all the scenery, for sure. It’s part of the city, but still had that charm.
      By the look of your blog, I know you didn’t disappoint the palm reader.

19. Those first two shots are gorgeous! Great job!

20. Fergiemoto says:

Very clever comparisons and great photos!
    I thought I recognized Solvang. We stopped there during one of our road trips when I was a little girl.

21. Thanks for the visit and the like…and the photos too, We bloggers need all the encouragement we can get!

22. Angelia Sims says:

I’d like to go to Europe, but honestly, I think California is closer to me. And it looks just as good there. :-)

European would not approve. But definitely, California offers variety than any European countries. Let me know if or when you plan to be here so I have something to look forward to. :D

Wonderful mergers :-) Amazing how similar they all are…..clever catch!

I know! They are doing good with all these revivals. The Spanish footsteps in Rodeo Dr. is not so much, but it’s great that they did resemble it to the one in Rome.

24. I love your Near and Far! Especially the Spanish Steps :) I went to high school in Rome and miss it very much, can’t wait to go back next. Thanks so much for the Like!

25. stephglaser says:

Rommel, love the compare/contrast approach! Great post. Thanks for stopping by Travel Oops! Steph

26. Near or Far, each image tells a story of a beautiful adventure. Amazing Bro. Thanks for sharing all of these.

I quite understand your wish to go back to Europe. I wouldn’t mind visiting California at some point. Rommel, I like your perspective very much. Wonderful comparison from different points of world!!

28. […] Europe in California? Well here is the Asia […]