Home » Flashback Friday » MY Favorite Italian Music

MY Favorite Italian Music

Some of you may expect something obscure, an acquired taste, serious or substantial musicians. With emphasis, these are MY favorite Italian music.

An Italian co-worker sang over and over something of a significant to Neapolitan culture. He even explained to me what was the song all about. Back then, I didn’t pay “that” much attention. Months later, the song was remixed and was all over the radio, not just in Europe but all around the world. I was talking about a Renato Carosone original, “Tu Vuo Fa L’Americano”.

The remix from Yolanda Be Cool was not the only one. Christina Aguilera and Lou Bega have different version of the song as well. Sophia Lauren, a Napoli native, danced to the tune of it in a movie. It was also performed by Matt Damon and Jude Law in the movie, The Talented Mr. Ripley. The song tis reflected when American military’s stay in Naples that booms the economy of Italy years ago. The song is roughly translated to “You wanna be an American”. It’s definitely not the same anymore.

When it comes to Italian music, there are, of course, sound names such as Andrea Bocelli and Pavarotti. I’m just not an opera listener.
I happened to like pop music in Italy. This is my most favorite video I’ve seen throughout my 2-year stay there.

Don’t we all do this…???

I really enjoy watching the video. I especially like the last part. The song is from Zero Assoluto.

My favorite females are the most recognizable ones as well, Elisa and Laura Pausini. These two are actually internationally acclaimed. They both sing in English and Spanish. Laura Pausini actually has a single with James Blunt. Elisa’s song “Dancing” had been used three times in the TV contest, “So You Think You Can Dance”. Both of them are part of the artist line-up of the song “Domani” together with other new and old famous Italian musicians.

Yes, this is sort of like their “We Are The World” song. A Mauro Pagani’s original, the song is called “Domani” or “Tomorrow“. In May 21, 2009, an Italian artist ensemble got together to compose a charity single to benefit the victims of L’Aquila Earthquake.

This brings me to my MOST favorite Italian artist, the ever-poetic, Jovanotti. He’s the man behind that project. I actually bought one of his 2007 album, L’Albero, just for this awesome song …

I love this song to death. I can sing this feel-good song over and over and over again. “Bella” is indeed a very “Beautiful” song where Lorenzo Jovanotti compares a woman to all things beautiful. I love the bridge part when it paused to make room for the flute solo.

Last Call…

This song is not in Italian nor Italian-based but from an English rock band, Skunk Anansie. It just so happened to be a constant-airplay single in Italy when I was there. You may have heard about Skunk Anansie from an internationally-acclaimed song, “Because of you”.  They may be a “clit-rock” group, but my most favorite is this vocal-heavy song called “Squander”.

There goes my favorites. I encourage everyone to embrace the culture of the country you are in or travel to, not just tourism-wise, or food, but other areas like music, perhaps clothing, language and traditions as well.

They also have versions of familiar songs like “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You“, which my Italian co-worker is also fond of singing aloud. During my time there, “Weirdero” was also a hit, which is a remake of Radiohead’s “I’m a Creep“. I always sing “Io Canto Sotto La Pioggia” every time it rains. The song is the Italian version of “I’m Singing in the Rain“.

This post is part of Flashback Friday. I made it in time. YEY!
Category: Italy

1. Daniela says:

I love it and always have -:)!
    The original speaks so much about the time it was make in -:)!

Daniela

2. Fabulous music. Love it all! Thanks for a great post!

3. Marianne says:

What a wonderful musical interlude, Rommel! You really have me tapping my feet here :)

I love that first clip…..Americano. Sophia Loren sang and danced to this song in It started in Naples, with Cary Grant. He was way too old for her in this movie, but I will watch anything with her in it.

5. Thanks for introducing me to Italian pop. Sounds good! I like it better than today’s Kpop! lol.

6. harri8here says:

Fabulous post, thanks for sharing these great sounds. Cool, too, to highlight the importance of absorbing as much of a country’s culture as you possibly can.

7. Nice stuff. Seven months, I’ll be in Napoli…..

8. That is a great song. Places you right back in the 50s in old Napoli. Nice post.

A time-machine would be great … right about now! Errrr… nothing … I’ll continue with my wishful thinking … it will happen someday, I know it. Hehehe :D

I’m a Pavarotti and Bocelli fan, but I do like your Italian pop music. I also love singing in the car. :D

A whole lot of music here.

I still have yet to cross Brooklyn Bridge.

12. Ken Marteney says:

Thanks for openning the door and inviting me in. I want to hear more. Thanks.

13. shofar says:

I learned more about contemporary Italian music and more about who you are as a person. I liked the cello part in Jovanotti’s “Bella” and the message in the last song, “Squander”. Appreciating a culture through its music, too, is a very enriching experience! Thanks for sharing, Rommel! BTW, I like this blog format!

Molto Bene, Rommel! You just added one more reason to love Italy :) Grazie mille!
    Beautiful header.

15. I have several Laura Pausini CDs, having found her a few years ago and just enjoyed her sound. I do not speak Italian, but music doesn’t need translation. I really enjoyed your musical selections. I remember Sophia Loren singing this particular song and haven’t thought of it in years! I will enjoy reacquainting myself! Have a wonderful, musical week, Rommel!

You write the most interesting posts and the music is divine! Thanks Rommel. Have a fabulous week. :)

17. Angelia Sims says:

I still have several albums I bought when I was in France as a teenager. Yeah, before CD’s. Lol! I loved the music there and had so much fun dancing. I love your picks! Gonna download a few and pretend I am there. Viva Italia!

Ahihihi…. I feel jolly and act silly whenever I hear “Bella”. It really makes me remember my time in Italia….and reminds me of my girl a lot too. :D

Cool selections… Molto bene! I’m gong to spend some time and listen to your video choices… Yes, I’ve heard of Skunk Anansie and I like their sound… You did an awesome job here… Viva Italia! ;-)

19. ideflex says:

Nice selection of clips. It’s always great to find “new” material to add to an already eclectic playlist – thanks!

Wonderful selection of music! Shall have to return to listen to them all.
    I always bring back musical CDs as souvenirs. Nothing like the strains of a Syrtaki to transport me back to Greece :-)

21. Enjoyed this very much, thank you!