Home » random » DIY: How to make a Parachute Bracelet (550Cord Bracelet)

DIY: How to make a Parachute Bracelet (550Cord Bracelet)

Don’t be alarmed, you are still viewing The Sophomore Slump. I’m very excited to compose this special report of a post. I actually planned to publish it 10 posts out before I hit my 200th but I just can’t resist.

550-cord bracelets or Parachute bracelets are usually or popularly worn by military personnel. It’s unisex, mostly men actually. Online, it ranges from $5 to $20 or higher. The coolest thing about this bracelet is that you don’t have to worry whether it’s fake or not, and rest assured that it doesn’t rust. 550 cords are strong and sturdy. It has a minimum breaking strength of …dum dum dum dum… 550 pounds. It was originally used in the suspension lines of US parachutes during World War II.

What you need?

• A scissor, knife or a Gerber ***Safety Note*** Be careful when working with scissor or a knife.
  • 2 550-cords, one much longer than the other
  • lighter, or a candle ***Safety Note*** Be careful when working with fire.
  • Button

There are less than 15 Quick and Easy Steps. I can’t believe I put ‘Quick and Easy’ steps, such a typical tactic to lure people. Seriously, once you get the hang of it, it gets really easy. I can make one for 10 minutes. I do it when I hike, when I’m watching a movie, when I wait for my laundry to finish, whenever I drive …oops, whenever I’m at a Rest Stop.

STEP 1:

Take the smaller 550 cord (lanyard – let’s call it fancily as ‘lanyard’ from here) and fold it in half.

The Small Lanyard

Cut it in a way that it fits your wrist or whomever you’re making it for. Yey for me using ‘whomever’. Was the usage even right? Add extra length for adjustments, or for ‘waste factor’. Look at the picture as your guide. If you can’t do that, kindly give yourself a slight slap on the right cheek ….of your face. *BIG GRIN* just lightly, safety is paramount in making the bracelet.

STEP 2:

Take the longer lanyard, spot the center and make a square knot around the smaller lanyard. Pull it as tightly as you can. See the picture…

Leave a small loop where the fold meets on the small lanyard. Later on, that is where the button is attached to. You can look at the end result (very first picture). If you can’t make a square knot, ask your parents what it is.

STEP 3:

Place one side (first side) of the long lanyard over the small lanyard.

The First Side

Just like so. If you can’t do that, go ahead and give yourself a slight slap on your left cheek …

STEP 4:

Take the second side of the longer lanyard. Go over the first side and under the small lanyard. Making an “e”.

Make an “e”. The second side.

Again, over and under…

Over and Under

STEP 5 and 6:

Bring the end of the second side and go under the loop of the first side.

20121024-211224.jpg

Then, bring both sides up and pull both sides outward. Pull it as hard as you can.

20121024-211535.jpg

It should look like that -like a pretzel. I know pretzels are yummy, but don’t eat this lanyard. This is not a recipe. Once you pull it, you should see that you just made your first design.

20121024-211811.jpg

STEP 7, 8, 9 and 10

Redo the loops on the opposite side. Keep doing it until you reach almost at the bottom.

20121024-212228.jpg

20121024-212300.jpg

20121024-212354.jpg

20121024-212436.jpg

You should leave room for ‘waste factor’ or that added length you made in STEP 1.

20121024-212523.jpg

STEP 11 and 12:

Cut both sides of the longer lanyard.

20121024-213544.jpg

Then burn both ends using a lighter. We all should know not to play with fire. Do this in a well-ventilated area and free of flammable materials like paper, gasoline, or your partner’s temper.

20121024-214008.jpg

STEP 13 and 14:

Take the button. Be practical. Get it from a used clothing. Be creative, you can use all kinds of buttons. This is actually the only hard part because you have to scrape off the center of the button to make it into a single hole. Use the knife to scrape off the button. Or, simply find a one-hole button.

20121024-214506.jpg

Insert both ends of the smaller lanyard into the button. Sometimes, you have to use a pen to stick it in, or any pointy objects.

20121024-214838.jpg

Then burn the ends together. Whenever you’re burning the ends, don’t your use bare hand but you can use the scissor to flatten it out. Here…

20121024-215102.jpg

STEP 14:

Presto! You’re done! Just attach the button to the loop that you made on the small lanyard.

20121024-215636.jpg

20121024-215817.jpg

This post is part of the Weekly Photo Challenge: Mine. My blog is primarily about my travels. This time I posted something that is MY creation. Well, it was taught to me, and it became my leisure. I’ve given them away to close friends, even neighbors, and other acquaintances. Indeed, it is perfect for gifts, or giveaways. If you can’t keep up with my quote-end quote Quick and Easy steps, 3rd graders proof intructuons, first slap your face on both cheeks and then there are Youtube videos for you to visually follow.

For Parachute Bracelet Advance… You can also mix and match different colors of 550 cords. Instead of a button, you can also use clips or snap ons. You can also attach this to a watch. What I taught is Parachute Bracelet Basics. Maybe, a part deux in the future.

Is there no end to your talent Rommel?

2. poppytump says:

I like ! must make one if only to be asked about it . And then I can tell about You and Your creation and – me – that I have done a Jump. Well a tandem anyhow. ;-)
    … I’m so worried about burning my fingers tho now lololol

3. Marianne says:

Hey! This is really cool!

4. free penny press says:

This looks like something even I can do.. I shall try this :-)

5. Richert Manjarres says:

Pretty sweet. :)

6. Carl Milner says:

What an ace blog, I’m definitely trying this one

As I was reading this post, I too was saying “is there no end to this man’s talents”? so I guess I will just echo what Lucid Gypsy said above. :D

8. Angelia Sims says:

You lost me at square knot. But, I’m blonde…..errrr….sorta. :-)

It is a REALLY cool bracelet. I’m thinking this is a good former smoker’s activity – keep the hand busy.

You must be a descendant of Albert Einstein. Hehe. I heard he never found out how to tie a shoe. The first knot you make to tie your shoe is basically the same thing as square knot. Might actually IS a square knot.

I think, I kight be wrong… Well, I was told that military personnel used to buy this from the desert, Kuwait or Iraq. I always assumed they’re the first ones to make it.

Making the loops as even as you did may be challenging. Thank you for the step-by-step instructions, Rommel! I got it! :)

10. Emma Rose says:

Reblogged this on emmagemma and commented:
    Who knows, maybe I’ll make one.

11. Hi Rommel, thanks for “liking” my last post. As a former Airborne Ranger, I had to check this one out. BTW 550 cord is still used in parachutes, not just those from WW II.

It was “originally” used in the suspension lines of US parachutes during World War II. Hehe

forrner Airborne Ranger …hmmm, sounds like you have many interesting stories.

That’s is pretty cool.

You make it look and sound too easy, rommel. I’d probably get myself all tied up in knots. :)

Only because it IS actually easy. :D I was worried Ima have problems explaining it. Never really done something like this before. Well, I guess I made it sound easy. :D So thanks for the feedback.

And I’ll most likely have pink cheeks by the end of it :-D Cool project Rommel!

15. It makes me think of my macrame years! LOL! It is relaxing to work on small projects like this. I was in Huntington Beach the other day with my two oldest granddaughters (teens) who each bought bracelets of this kind. I must share this with them! :-)

16. harpersfarm says:

Excellent! I was given one of these bracelets not too long ago and have been wanting to learn how to make them! Now I can! Thank you!

17. Sunshine says:

u threw me in a loop…turned my fingers to resemble the *ouch* pretzel shape, but all is well, really. how about if i put in my request now…i’ll take one!! hahahhahh.
    i loved looking at your images and will continue to dream up all my creations. ;) thanks :)

18. Okay, you’ve officially become one of my top male bloggers, especially with this DIY bracelet post! Truth be told, I’m obsessed with DIY blogs and you totally surprised and threw me off with this post. I love it! I do have one suggestion – how about a VIDEO TUTORIAL? Do you think I can convince you? It’s wishful thinking, I must say, but I’m looking forward to that video…

Top male blogger, love the sound of that. Hehe. Thanks for the strong comment.
      Video tutorial, Yikes? Believe me, I’ve tried. Hehe. I did. But it was a fail. It’s okay with just events, but with DIY vids, you really have to engineer your moves, what to say, etc. and it’s hard when you make errors. I applaud those who has done it. There are plenty in Youtube, by the way.

19. How cool is that?! My daughter’s going to love trying this. Thanks!

I love the design… Might make one for me. ;-)

21. [...] break once again with my travel posts and weekly photo challenges. I had fun making and composing my DIY post, so I’m continuing my special [...]

22. Thanks for the D.I.Y. tips.

23. Silving says:

So Rommel,are you tring to compete with my bracelets and necklaces? :D :)))
    Cool!!!

24. Silving says:

I meant “trying”..

25. [...] Most Helpful: DIY: How to make a Parachute Bracelet – Thank you for all those who pinnedterest/pinterested this post. 2. Most Popular: – [...]

26. [...] Most Helpful: DIY: How to make a Parachute Bracelet – Thank you for all those who pinnedterest/pinterested this post. 2. Most Popular: – [...]

27. Mark says:

My braids seem to want to twist as I go further down the short lanyard.

28. Kirsten says:

When I did mine it curled and now it won’t flatten out I think I did this wrong.

29. sf says:

Ooh, I’ve always wanted to know how to make one of these (without having to join the Girl’s Scouts). I’m definitely gonna give it a try – once I can get my hands on a 550 cord. Thanks for the instructions! The little arrow drawings were funny! Very good directions, dude!

30. gelaikuting says:

Nice one bro… I used to braids bracelet when I was in high school :)

31. rommel says:

This is now the blog most viewed post overthrowing my Freshly Pressed. Thank you all for viewing esp. The Pinteresters out there. Thanks for re-posting and sharing this post.

32. yogagalla says:

Reblogged this on Rave Or Rant and commented:
    I haven’t made a parachute bracelet yet but I will be. Love it.

33. Melody says:

I used to make this on slow nights waiting for
    $& !t to hit the can working at the hospital on Kandahar airfield. You bring back great memories. And insanely turbulent ones too. Love the blog posts thus far!

34. Mic-Arts says:

This is exactly what I’v been making with hemp strings! But different material gives different taste to it. It looks nice!

35. Sony Fugaban says:

Hi, Rom.

Didn’t know you can create something like that. Ship one for me, please. I was joking…hehe

36. Capt Jill says:

thanks for posting this, we used to make these all the time, but I forgot how to do it :-)

37. That’s really cool! Merci, too, for visiting/following my blog.

38. Sartenada says:

Wow. I showed this to my wife. She loved Your idea and instructions. She is beader and this was something new to her.

Thank You!

39. firecook says:

Hi there nice to meet you:) Thanks for liking a post of mine. Cool Idea for a bracelet:)

40. gailkav says:

My dad used to make these when he wanted a really strong rope. I never got the hang of it though :-(

41. […] DIY: How to make a Parachute Bracelet (550Cord Bracelet) « The Sophomore Slump. […]

42. Kelly Grace says:

OMG, I haven’t seen this since the 70′s when I took up macrame and made hanging plant holders.
    I pinned your post under Crafts on my Pinterest page and sent it to my daughter for my grandson’s Boy Scout troop. Thanks for a great craft idea easy enough for kids.

43. Wow! Cool! Absolutely love it. Great gob on the tutorial!