Home » Travel » Las Vegas … Baby!

Las Vegas … Baby!

As one of my promised posts during my 100th, I made certain that I hit this place. I didn’t even have to convince the boys to go with me, they immediately affirmed it as soon as I mentioned it to them. So one weekend, we drove out of the state of California to a city that never sleeps (wait! that doesn’t sound right -that’s New York) … to a city that needs no alarm clock (better? oh well), to the City of Lights (urgh … that’s Paris) to the city of blooming bulb business… to The Vice City (Miami) screw it … to the Sin City, Las Vegas ………. Baby!

Pardon the enthusiasm, something so exciting and interesting happened to me in Vegas …

Here’s to a travel destination where, literally, it’s a must! to allocate extra time and money, … and control to be able to get out of it. Las Vegas didn’t get it’s moniker Sin City for random reason. You can easily get blinded by forceful temptations out there. This is where indulgence tastes so sweet until your wallet gets thinner and your guilt grew sick. It’s like one big candy store for adults. If you decide to come here, lay out your goal, better set your limits, come prepared and stick with the plan. Else, all the glittering glows and ding-dinging sounds will lure you to the depth of your conscience and your wallet.

I still managed to click The City of Rock and Roll (Don’t ask me, I don’t know.) amidst the activities we planned for that night.

With the casino’s majestic themes, this is also yet another place where I get to feed my Europe fix.

See and compare… Las Vegas ain’t nothing but 5-hour drive versus miles and miles across seas will do for me.

We really planned to wander around at night. Glad my camera held up for the challenge.

My weekend in Las Vegas was short and bitter, and well, “sweet”. We headed to the City of Angels to drop one of us and headed home all the just next day.

I do plan to go back to explore more. I just need to learn not to give to temptations. Don’t worry. Nothing that will alert my girlfriend. :D

As for the very interesting and exciting thing that happens to me in Las Vegas …

… stays in Vegas. *sticks tongue out*

___________________________________________

Las Vegas?

Here is livvy. She’s been posting about one of the country I long dream about going, Ireland. She surprised her viewers when she hits the U.S. covering this same city. Unlike me, she was able to find this famous fabulous sign. And, she has better pictures of the fountains of Bellagio during the day and at night. So forget about this blog for now and head out to this amazing photography galore blog, A Year in Life. Travel other destinations such as London, New York, Portugal, Morocco, Seattle and more … through her blog.

______________________________________

Last Call…

1. Mike Limon says:

Hey Rommel! Glad to hear that you made the trip. Just think, that area of buildings and lights was once a barren desert! To me, that’s the most impressive thought. I haven’t been to Las Vegas in about 15 years but my daughter moved there last year, and she loves it. She even convinced her boss to pack up and move his business from Oxnard to Henderson, NV based on her recommendation. There is plenty to see and do in Las Vegas if you can find a local resident and let them recommend the best sites to you. Thanks for the post. Sounds like you had a great time!

Mike Limon
    Ventura, CA

Oh yes, that is so fascinating. During the drive, I look around the empty spaces and I start imagining big buildings. I start thinking about how they start it and how the progress is building up.

I can’t live in Las Vegas. I can’t. Hehe. I do agree that there’s so much (for me) to explore in LAs Vegas.

2. Marianne says:

I’ve been to Las Vegas as couldn’t wait to get away from it! It seemed so false to me – but then again, Europe is on my doorstep!

What I really DID enjoy were the rides at the top of the Stratospohere Hotel – now they were fun! :)

If you look closer at my pic, you can see a guy hanging on the left of the sign. :D That is my hotel, and we get to go up there whenever we want.

There’s plenty of wrongs in Las Vegas. It reminds me so much of Amsterdam. It makes it fascinating, nonetheless. OR are you talking about the landmark imitations? That’s for us in the US who don’t get to travel overseas. Hehe.

Love your big wide city views and I can imagine what you got up to you naughty man!

4. flujan says:

Nice… Apparently those were the “nice” photos! Hahahaaa…
    Felicia

5. poppytump says:

A very surreal place when you get to see so many European Sights all in one City :-)
    and the number of Elvis singers along the pavements being grabbed for photo shots with the Bride and Groom and their entourage !
    Glad you had a ball Rommel !

Ahhh yes, yes, yes. They really relive each of their themes to the core. I love the Hollywood Planet area. There’s a lot of costumed people on the streets …. and street entertainers too. There’s one flexibility guy where he twists, bends, arches, does a ton of acrobats to his body …uhm, YIKES! I couldn’t look.
      I definitely had a blast!

I am glad you had a great time :) Nice shots, Rommel!

7. I was there in 1999… I am very pleased to see this crazy city in a different, unique perspective. Great work!

I have not been to Las Vegas…..but it is on the list.

9. Joycelyn says:

Should I ask how’s your wallet doing after your trip to Vegas? lol! I was waiting for the exciting part… but then again, it stayed in Vegas, haha! :)

10. Vegas is only about 4 hours from us, and yet we don’t go too often…sensory overload! But when we go I gawk and take it all in. It’s unlike anyplace else on earth, I’m convinced. We went in March for my birthday because I had a special request to see “LOVE,” the Beatles Cirque du Soleil. And we also had a special meal at Thomas Keller’s Bouchon. This was a special occasion so we enjoyed Vegas from the “upper end” of our budget. It’s a crazy place, though. I love your photos, and I’m sure you’ll go again and spend even more time! As you say, it’s so close to home! :-)

Unlike any place else on Earth, I like that. :D We didn’t get the chance to see any shows due to time restrictions. The price … GRRR …$41 buffet in Bellagio … yikes! I agree, there’s a lot of things that can happen when you’re in Vegas. You really got to be prepared, and handle yourself.

11. Great photos! I’ve never been, but want to.

12. Angelia Sims says:

Vegas Baby! When I was your age (crap, that sounds old! HA), my husband and I hit Vegas two or three times a year. As a travel agent, I couldn’t get enough of all the hotels and how amazing each of them were. Friends of ours got married one year, and we all rode the Big Shot on top of the Stratosphere after the wedding. Fun stuff. Good times! Love your night shots. :-)

All the rides! WEEEE! I got to get to one of the rides. I got to, got to! I need a better timing the next time I go there. From your blog, you are NOT old.

13. Love your captures. Very nice. Vegas ? oh yeah sin city indeed. We skipped it when heading south. I have family that we visit often there so LV is no longer as exciting as it used to be for us.

I can see how Vegas can get old when visited so many times. It’s a temptation desert. I can make it my temple for one night, but that’s (should be) about it. Hehe

Sin City is certainly the right moniker for LV. Spent lots of time there when younger but never succumbed to throwing too much money away. Love the night shots you took Rommel. :)

15. Lynette says:

Love the pic of the monorail entrance. Reminds me of a star trek episode or something.

Wow! Those panoramic night shots are unbelievable! And the glitz and the glamour comes through absolutely. Great one Rommel! Well chosen theme to showcase your fab photos too.

Whooopsy! I changed the theme again. I’m wishy washy. I should have a poll. I SHOULD HAVE A POLL! Thanks! Er… there’s no widget for polls. Oh well, I think it’s safe to say the night cityscape pictures are always good to shoot, and it will work with every theme.

17. stephglaser says:

Rommel — gorgeous photos here! Steph

18. Silving says:

I really enjoyed reading and visualizing this post! Great!

19. Excellent night shots, the kind one would like to take away from a stop in Vegas. FYI, the mayor of Venice, Italy at the time declined an invite from the owners of The Venetian Hotel when it officially opened.

20. livvy30 says:

Thanks for the mention!

21. Jude says:

Just one word: FAB-U-LOUS!!

22. Megan says:

I would recommend doing the zip line in the old part of Vegas (near where that awesome sign is located). A fun way to see Vegas!! I’m not a fan of gambling, but I always find something else to do there. Thanks for sharing! And glad your friends didn’t leave you stranded on top of some building out there! haha

23. rommel says:

I think you’re talking about the Stratosphere. It’s where I took all the night shots. I didn’t do it because it was already nighttime. Next time, for sure, I’ll do something adventurous. Thanks!

24. Wow. This is one of the best features on Vegas that I’ve read of all time. Splendid photos. This makes my 2nd favorite post of yours! =>

Awesome shots! Love the night shots and the Last Call… Wow! We used to have our family reunion in LV, we’d have a big, fun dinner, then they all disappeared for the rest of the two or three days. :D Great post!

26. 7feetnorth says:

Love your pics. About 3 years ago I spent 2 weeks in Vegas for training with my company. Two weeks is a LONG time to be in Vegas. We were in meetings all day but we had some very crazy adventures after hours.

I was in Vegas for only a day. It’s a very strange place, being right in the middle of the desert. I was so fascinated by all the wedding chapels. Very odd. :) I’d love to go back one day, to see a show maybe. Your pics are amazing.

28. mikemcmurray says:

I love the bottom two pieces!

I thought my Bellagio shot with the fountain ain’t good enough. I just included it just because Bellagio is one of the most recognized in Vegas. So thanks for the great feedback.

29. Imelda says:

Wow! Your nighttime photos are stunningly gorgeous. :-) Thanks for showing us Vegas.

30. Sunshine says:

Sinsational!! I dare not enter into this city of alluring lights and wha? Someone say the, still-got-them-moves for an old fella, Tom Jones performs there?? Haha…just having some fun and really, how can you not after touring your post on Vegas! WoW…the city lights can be the entertainment right there!! :) Thanks!

Sinsational! I like that. ;)
      The city lights sure are entertainment in itself. People who travel here for entertainment get to have fun sightseeing, and vice versa.

31. premdev says:

I hope you didn’t miss the Zzyzx road along the way… :D great that you made it there, to me Vegas is just a concrete jungle, I enjoy exploring nature more than cities like Vegas but it’s truly a great place to explore too.

Ahhh… I had ZZyzx in mine for sure. But sadly, it wasn’t in the plan. I knew I had to forget it as I was with two other people who don’t have the same interest with it. Also, I drove the morning, and I slept afterwards. Hehe :D I missed it. There’s always a next time. And that next time, I’m surely will plan it better. Perhaps, just a solo travel so I can do things more freely.

32. Wow, you got some fantastic shots!! It’s hard to pick a favorite, but the next to last one would be my choice if I did. The lights on the fountain and palm trees create a beautiful effect! I’m glad you had fun…without getting in trouble with your girlfriend ;-)

Great skyline shots. Lots of detail.

34. Hi Rommel,

Browsing your post really took me down memory lane. I visited Vegas last in 2010 and pictures did rekindle the several pleasurable moments and thoughts. We had a great time at some of the shows and even managed to hit a mini jackpot! The good news. We could walk away with our winnings.

Cheers

Shakti

A mini jackpot! I didn’t win even just a mini jacket. Hehe. Where’s my portion of the winnings :D Good to hear, really good to hear. At least someone won.

35. Beautiful pics! I love Sin City

36. rommel, I have nominated you for the “Very Inspiring Blogger” Award ~ http://travelgardeneat.com/2012/11/29/you-flatter-me-blogger-friends/ (for the “rules” :-)) — however, whether you participate in the awards process or not, thank you for sharing and know you are appreciated! ~ Kat

37. tchistorygal says:

This may be my favorite post yet, and I have several other favs. Your night shots are amazing. They are so crisp and bright! Las Vegas is the Queen of pretenders, you know it’s fake (of course), but it is breathtaking, nonetheless. Glad you had fun. No big wins?? :)

38. [...] recently posted about his trip to Las Vagas with friends, which I’m sure you would enjoy.  He is always quick to leave an encouraging, [...]

39. Sin City seems like a crazy place. Would have been great to do some Fear and Loathing in Las vegas! :D

40. Aw I was waiting to read what happened in Vegas :D Great shots as usual though! Brings back wonderful memories of the last time I was there a loooong time ago.

Whoa! Very nice to hear that you’ve been to LV. Any pics? or post? Link it here, I want to see it. Unless you wanted it to just stay in Vegas. :D

41. Sony Fugaban says:

You really had fun, hud. I so envy at the moment, bro. Sorry to hear about your deflated wallet. Haha

42. budgettraveltalk says:

I have come on over from East of Malaga on Marianne’s recommendation. Like your post – it is fun – but I don’t think Vegas is my style. But I know lots of people who would disagree!

Urgh, I bow to Marianne’s brilliant blog. And I’m very honored to have her feature me. Thanks for the visit. Er … I can’t click on your name and get to your blog??? You need to update your gravatar and provide the link of your blog if you have one.

43. janaknmistry says:

Lovely pictures. I have never been keen on going to the US but yes after looking at the pictures I am a bit confused now :P

Like you, I couldn’t wait to get out of Las Vegas… Something about those lights and all the action is exhausting!. :-)

45. Silversound7 says:

Love this, and you captured the essence of the city in these fantastic photos! Now I’m planning my next trip back…

46. mhdriver says:

Great nite shots crisp ,clear and in focus. Really great shots. Nancy and my favorite city, Love Vegas. We would go there about every five to six weeks. Some times we would win a little jingle and sometimes not but still love it. Great post, Rommel.

47. Bro, you always bring magic to every post. The pictures are just amazing. You have an artistic eye and every time you captured the soul of the places and people you meet. Vegas is no other. The magnificent buildings, lights and water features just dazzles in the most spectacular way. Merry Christmas. Wishing you and your family all the wonderful blessings of love, joy and peace.

48. I hope you didn’t miss the Buddha with a lapful of money :)

49. Angeline M says:

Absolutely great shots of one of my favorite places to play and have fun! A lot of people don’t like it and think it shallow and gawdy…..but that’s what makes it fun. You go and sort of forget the real world for a little while. My husband and I call it adult Disneyland :)

50. spencercourt says:

Great photos!

Vegas is my second home. Been there over 25 times. Usually visit once a year.

Besides being a great place to just hang out, it has a large Pinoy population and so I can satisfy my taste buds in a way I cannot in the rural South where I live. Many Filipino restaurants (lechon, pancit, turon, etc) and bakeries (pan de sal and ensaymadas) and even a large grocery store which carries all the goodies, including Magnolia ice cream. Next to the grocery is a Jolibee. In a large shopping center just north of the corner of Flamingo and Maryland Parkway.