Home » California » Graffiti-covered house in Murphy Ranch,Malibu

Graffiti-covered house in Murphy Ranch,Malibu

There are graffiti everywhere – ground, trashcans, woodpile, pipelines, on the rocks – everywhere. I started thinking like a principal or school guard as to who were behind all these grotesque arts. Is this left to be this way?

Besto? Pez? Alf___? Joneses? For the life of alphabets, a lot of these I can’t make something out of it. I’m guessing they left it complex for the investigators and the curious minds to wonder about it and decipher. This trail of enigmatic scribbles must be leading somewhere …

AHA! A graffiti-covered house … more clues! I bet it’s the original owner who did all these unconventional house decorations.

This dilapidated house, it’s iffy to get in. It’s like entering a haunted mansion. What if there are rats running around inside for dramatic effect? Or three witches with their eldritch laughter?

Ahhh … I feel content. My own room is not so bad afterall. :D

Murphy Ranch was designed to serve as a hold out for fans of the Third Reich waiting for America to fall to the Nazis. Instead, the ranch was raided by U.S. authorities and closed in 1941. The abandoned buildings were transformed into an artists’ colony in the 60s and 70s, but were abandoned after the Mandeville Canyon Fire in 1978. Today the grounds of Murphy Ranch are uninhabited, dilapidated, covered in graffiti, and open to hikers.

Wait! Hold out! There is it! The CULPRIT!

Er?…. That the same suspect I caught in Venice Beach!

What do you think?

Love it?

Like it?

Or just …?

Last Call …

Street Art?

If you didn’t like what you see here, I’m sure you’ll love what antoinette showed here – Street Art Spotted – Lower East Side. Agreed? Well click for more street art using her street art tag. Beyond those amazing shares are her volunteering activities in and out of the states. This kind-hearted, lively and well-traveled blogger has enjoyed her time in Patagonia, Peru, Egypt, Australia, etc. Read actual medical situations, catch children smiling amidst their conditions, experience the world through nature, people and humanity from this blog – love.antoinette.

Credits to Erica that I found out about this hike.

At least it isn’t on public buildings in the middle of the city.

2. drishism says:

I have seen graffiti that was boring, and I have seen graffiti that is really artistic. One of the most interesting surprises was on the side of rail road cars when I was stuck at a railroad crossing. Several cars had been covered in Graffiti, but it was so well done that it could legitimately be called art… even if it was on the side of a railroad car.

To me, they are artistic. I can’t do that. I wonder about their vision on how they’re going to paint it. Their lettering are impressive. What I hate are those scribbles over the graffiti. Like the ones I’ve shown here, so many were vandalizing over the original writings.

I find some graffiti to be quite beautiful but not when it is defacing public property.

4. J9 says:

It’s sure not your run-of-the-mill gang tagging! The sharp lines and details the artists were able to create with scattery spray paint is incredible. A lot of good art there.

5. libertatemamo says:

Cool shots. I enjoy seeing street art like that…a whole different world.

6. Sunshine says:

As I told Antoinette, seeing graffiti/ street art is a wonderful change as small country towns severely lack in this area. Well done! <3

7. Great photos! There are so many odd remnants of a hippie past back in those hills. You never know what you’ll find. But the old Nazi stuff really creeps me out! Great field trip!

8. Rommel thank you sooo much for featuring me here, especially with your street art post! :) I feel so honored! I’ve taken a short hiatus from blogging, and have also left WP.com to a self-hosted site as you may have noticed… Will be getting back into the blogging grind soon! Happy New Year, by the way :)

Hihi … Welcome. Although, sorry to say this, but I find self-hosted .org blogs hard to comment to. And! there’s no like button and follow button that your new blogposts no longer show up on the prompts of Blogs I Follow.
      Standout series of street arts, by the way. *thumbs up*

I love street art/grafitti, there’s a very fine line isn’t there? But it really does have to be in the right place and that isn’t on important old buildings.

10. poppytump says:

Interesting history ! I guess it was all ‘make love not war’ slogans and flowers all over the wall back in the 60’s .. suppose this is its more edgy now version . Yes I like the lettering too here … they certainly have to have control of their nozzles :-D
    There is a place for Graffiti Art and I do think it works here !

11. Great photos! I love street art! Such amazing talent and to think it was all done with spray paint!

12. There is some pretty amazing talent in the Graffiti world. You have a great eye for beauty – and seem to find it in the strangest or most exotic places!
    Spray paint…..check this guy out when you have time. He’s amazing.

13. Jude says:

I just love graffiti. Those artists are SO talented!

14. camparigirl says:

Wow! Haven’t been there in such a long time. I have come to love graffiti art and there are parts of LA that boast some beautiful specimen. There you are, driving along somewhere, and your eyes are suddenly filled with unexpected art.

15. 7feetnorth says:

Interesting history with the house! The graffiti you photographed shows some real talent!

There’s an abandoned house near me that you can hike back to; every inch of the house is covered in x-rated sayings. I mean every inch! Whoever did it had a lot of time and some major anger issues.

16. shofar says:

Interesting to see a graffiti-covered house!
    I did an oil painting of an old historic bridge along a mountain pass. It had see through arches underneath it where you could see trees and a mountain stream on the other side. Only bad thing was the old graffiti that was painted over on it that spoiled the looks of the old bridge. I’ll never know how anyone could get up there to paint on it! I painted over the graffiti in my picture.

Really good find, Rommel. I WISH I found this place.

For you, we’d repaint the whole building and I will let you do your thing to the walls. I will cover you from whoever interupts no holds bar. :D

18. Lol! That line you made referring to your room made me laugh. => As for the graffiti, you reminded me how it can be cool. Of course, we have a lot of that here but all the MMDA would regard of it is that graffiti makes their work more difficult. Looking beyond it, what’s running through the guy’s head, the total scenario while it was being done…the possibilities! It’s a story in itself.

a mix of beautiful art and rubbish…that is the shame…graffitti can be so amazing when done well

I really hate that some dimwits would just scribble over what is already drawn. And I hate that it’s like that here in California and not to some other cities where they respect murials and actual street arts.

Cool shots Rommel. Seems like some good street art has been vandalised!

21. This place was awesome. I was there last weekend! great to see your awesome pictures

Great shots, Rommel. It is so amazing to me that no-one ever seems to see them doing the graffiti. Do they come in the dead of night, and if so, how do they see what they are doing? A mystery. :?

I badly want to caught them in the act. Maybe I should camp out for a night or two and see if they show up. Maybe they have the invisible cloaks. Maybe they’re ninjas. Maybe it’s the ants. A mystery indeed.

23. Connie says:

wow, no idea that existed. Kind of scary! Interesting read! I might go there….but not alone :)

24. getsetandgo says:

Hey, I love reading your blog and have nominated you for the Blog of the Year 2012 award… Check out this link for more info…http://getsetandgo.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/my-blogging-journey-completes-1-year/

Congratulations and enjoy :)

Thank you. I completed this thingamajig already, but always gladly to know I receive more.
      Have you seen my 200th? Also, you’re a part of Featured Blogs now too.

25. Awesome shots with not so cool art, I admire any form of arts but I do hope they done it properly and beautifully so that historical structure like that preserve…

The government raided the place. I doubt they left anything worth preserving to make it as displays. Other than the structure, of course. I think te history of it is so dark, they wouldn’t want it preserved.

26. The grafitti on an artist’s perspective is really cool. Deep with stunning colors. The only thing negative is that it is a form of vandalism. As for the ones made on the structures with dark history, the grafitti actually made them less scary. Great shots!

Pretty amazing stuff here… This would be perfect for the unique challenge.

28. Imelda says:

Those graffiti are art, surreal though they may be. To me, the graffiti made this abandoned place a little more human and less lonely. It is just too bad, that graffiti, like the presence of vultures, indicate a kind of death and decay.

Oh, I am going off tangent, but I doff my hat to you, so to speak, for your courage in taking up hitchhikers. Goodness gracious me – if I were your mother, I wonder if I’d be proud of you or just smack you right on your head. Anyway, I am glad to know about good hearted people like you. Literally and figuratively speaking, you may be transporting the people you help to a new life. :-)

29. prem says:

My daughter was at one time so thrilled at learning to be a street artist (maybe she’s still into it but I don’t see her enthusiasm as before) and from her I heard that graffiti artists do it on purpose so it would be difficult to read those words or whatnots! hahahah…

30. I consider graffiti art. I don’t find most of it more objectionable than much of what I see on the current art scene that gets printed in the art magazines.

31. abbspepper says:

First, thanks for finding the Magura blog and following…
    Next – great pics of this amazing property. Not the Malibu I saw – not the beach culture, nor the money culture. Graffiti isn’t my thing, but some of these images are beautifully done, and I love the various typefaces you shot. Good for the dead house to have a new life, and good for taggers to have somewhere to express themselves without breaking any laws. Well, not much…

32. Wow! Good history yet I agree it is a mess and should be taken down–maybe a park?

33. bebs1 says:

Well at least they have a canvas to channel their energy. Whoever did it, it is their way of expression. As long as it is not out there in the public, I am fine with it.

34. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

Interesting indeed, Rommel. Great shots.

35. […] Graffiti Everywhere Windmills Everywhere […]