Home » photography » STILL

STILL

Some time between my week absence, I received an email asking about how to take action shots. I laughed at first then I get flattered. I’m no expert or professional in photography. I just think that are so many bloggers that are more apt and knowledgeable about the subject. Most of the time I rely solely on my eye and my snapping finger, and that’s it. :D Sometimes, I just click away without setting the camera and the result still comes out good.

I just really want to be courteous and respond to the inquiry. I’ll try to share the little that I know.

65965_10151457661288578_168961592_n

Let’s start with the interesting part. When there is a lot of movements, you gonna want to set the shutter speed, 1/1000th or higher. Set the focus mode to Continuous for Nikon or Servo for Canon.

999176_10151789381208578_1516809486_n

Don’t panic! Let’s take it easy. Seriously, don’t panic if you want to capture a split-second moment. The No-No’s are similar to shooting a gun. Don’t jerk the trigger. Keep in mind your breathIng.  Do not anticipate – once you click, it doesn’t mean you’re done, keep the camera steady.

Do not just click and click. Trigger-happy with action shots is not advised. You can lightly press on the button, hold your finger, wait for the white square to turn green, and then you can squeeze the trigger. That will help eliminate blurriness.

I never used a tripod, so I say nothng of it. Word in the blogosphere that it helps you get a clear shot, and you don’t have to worry about the above suggestions.

1238166_10151858577493578_1443814406_n

ISO speed is for sentivity of light and fineness. The lower you set it, the finer it gets.

295161_10150289118603578_324239_n

Let’s take a break.

527620_10150727488958578_544199086_n

Let’s keep moving. :)

Your mode dial should be in Tv/Time Value for Canon or Shutter Priority for Nikon.

If everything fails, set it to Sports- the one with the running guy. That will save you so much headaches. :D

576942_371450946268280_1985903598_n

If you have lenses, I usually use my zoom lenses. That way you can really capture the inches of what your subject makes. Just don’t go too near, shoot from a distance.

199070_362938430452865_1012653002_n

Finally, let’s make it fun. Who cares about the blurriness? You actually want your picture some blurriness. That will show how fast your subject is moving. :D

Last but not the least, remember to experiment on your own. ;)

Again, I don’t know how professionals do their magic, but that’s how I do mine. Information I gave here are not very solid. Oh well, take it or leave it. ;)

This post is part of Special Reports.

————————————————-

And the 100th Featured Blog is ……

Excellent post Rommel, especially for those of us eager to learn more about photography, like me! :) Thanks!

2. Nice! Photography requires patience no? I am not sure I can do that. hehe

3. I like the Venice Beach photo. Venice Beach is my old stomping ground from my youth. Also like the pigs, but all nice.

4. wanderingcha says:

Great action shots! It’s as if I can hear the noise made by those angry waves crashing onto those gigantic rocks or the music made by those deft fingers of that guitarist. :-D
    Taking action shots is always a challenge for me. Thanks for these tips.

You make it all sound so easy, Rommel. Fabulous action shots. :)

6. Adrian B says:

Thank you for the tips. The pictures are awesome.

I depend on the Sports mode. But, I may give a try of turning to Tv and 1/1000th+ shutter speed and wait white square to turn green :) Thanks a bunch, Rommel! Great shots (no Last Calls ;) )

Oh Rommel you’ve done a brilliant job explaining in simple terms what so many people struggle with and with really great photos too :-)

9. I’m not surprised you were asked to give some pointers! Your photography is always wonderful. I’m sure, like all of us, we don’t see the ones that didn’t prove to be rewarding, but what you do post always impress me. I think you have an excellent eye, and I do think perhaps your patience is what I often lack! I take them faster and faster sometimes thinking that’s the only way to come through! I really appreciate the pointers you’ve shared!

To be honest, like I said, when I get stuvk and no time to switch settings, I just click away as well. I also use the mode dial P which I personally preset, I rarely use auto. Most of what I shared is basic knowledge, or people can even achieve good result without setting.
      Thanks for the compliment, Debra. Once I get back to Cali, I will have about 10 months to go to places I haven’t gone to.

10. johanesjonaz says:

nice tutorial.. very handy and helpful

11. Ingrid says:

I’m still experimenting with the different settings on my camera. I’m always in a hurry though. Good info and you have the ‘eye’ for capturing some great shots!

12. Angeline M says:

Love the skateboard guy photo. Great tips…I can’t seem to bring myself to read all of my camera’s manual, so this post is great for me! Thanks!!

13. Great tips! I like that you spoke to the everyday photographer:) Thanks!

14. Sun says:

i think individual personalities shine out from their photographs – technique and how to do is important to know but as we see here, your passion for life and high energy comes through your photographs – even feel it with the quiet shots. well done, Rommel. :)

15. cocomino says:

Great photos although you’re not professionals :)

16. Awesome pictures! And great tips! Action shots are tough – they require patience and sometimes, luck :)

17. Patti Ross says:

What great photos, and a great site as well. Thanks for visiting my blog, since your visit led me back to you. Your views and perspective are captivating.

18. Thanks, Rommel. Your pictures are fantastic and your explanations are understandable! Especially with one who is learning but wants to know it all NOW! Patience has never been one of my virtues! :) Happy New Year!

19. […] STILL – Taking action shots? Here are my suggestions. Capture the Colour – My response for the Capture the Colour contest. Shot Into Smithereens – One Set of One Title, One Image post. Weekly Photo Challenge 2013 – One Image for Each Month in 2013. BLAQUE – My submissions for Paula’s B&W Challenge. The Scientist – One of my most favorite posts. […]