Home » Japan » Shuri Castle

Shuri Castle

There are places you go to for a cultural immersion; to exercise or mesh with traditions. There are places you go to for an adventure, random or not. To a far distance or just around the corner. There are places you go for an event. So many places you go to for fun, or whatever it is your heart desires. Some arequiet; a nature wandering or a beach walk perhaps. Some are spectacular. You go to some places for some or for solely for the experience, familiar and foreign or unique. And there are these places you go to that are simply significant that you can’t just let it pass.

I am halfway through my stay here in Okinawa, Japan. When a false alarm that my stay here may cut short, I immediately dragged a friend so I can hit this historically important place.

1468726_10152068086848578_144182139_n

I have walked through these grounds. I have entered the rooms and passageways where the royalties and its citizenry once were. I was admiring the majesty of the castle – the architechtural designs, its garden, the gate entrances, down to the courtyard and up to the intricate roofs and displays.  I relished in the priviledge of setting foot in its court that were used for gatherings and where its troops practiced and performed Karate, the martial arts the whole world knows about. I have touched its walls that protected the Kingdom of Ryukyu.

1469918_10152068079283578_1058315683_n

1450807_10152068087173578_127767801_n

1470229_10152068084898578_1695822990_n

Visiting Shurijo Castle is for its signifance. Tangibly, it’s purely sightseeing. Spiritually, it is a lot of things.

1466208_10152068102938578_499676691_n

The castle’s history is the Ryukyu Kingdom’s history itself.

1466198_10152068087488578_240345102_n

1452349_10152068084908578_656225685_n

524639_10152068080293578_1266751374_n

1425533_10152068082758578_761474191_n

1454585_10152068103763578_1073526409_n

And for these mere reasons that I wanted to visit this place. That I just couldn’t leave Okinawa without seeing it. I feel more connected with the island much more than ever. I have been to the very soul of Ryukyu Islands, the birthplace of Karate, and what is now called Okinawa.

733939_10152068079743578_899667695_n

1003924_10152068079663578_168780743_n

It may not be as eventful but the satisfaction of visiting Shuri Castle lies for its historical and cultural significance.

1479121_10152068079838578_1342354681_n

1452586_10152068104433578_1153003444_n

Last Call…

1476248_10152068080318578_2116702333_n

For more of details about Shuri Castle.

………………………………………………………

I don’t know about you, but Old Woman On A Bicycle sure is a catchy blog title. Wait until you get to meet this woman behind the wheels, Gayle Alstrom, and see her keep on rolling.

1. Glad you got to see this place – it’s beautiful, your photos awesome! ~SueBee

2. Jay Dee says:

Beautiful place. I’d planned to go to Okinawa around 5 years ago, but it didn’t pan out. I’m still in Japan, though. I need to get there someday. I would love to see Shuri Castle.

3. Ingrid says:

Thanks for sharing your stay in Japan. This is indeed a very interesting building. I also love that you’re featuring a different blog in your posts. Enjoy the rest of your time in Okinawa :-)

It takes extra time for me to feature a blog. I’m glad I finally had a little bit extra time to do it with this post. Thanks for the compliment, Ingrid.

4. Angeline M says:

Love the detail in your photos. The angles of the roofs are excellent.

5. So loving the pictures.as always

The photos shows the majesty of the castle and tells the glorious history through the details. I’m so glad you had a chance to explore the place before you leave. Thank you for taking us there, Rommel!

How amazing, your photos as always are brilliant, especially the dragons. A stunning place, I love the little details you’ve captured. Forgive me but it also looks like the setting for a sophisticated computer game!

Ahihihi…. Didn’t think about that… but it is so true. According to my friend Wiki, it was used to base on for a game portion of Call of Duty. :D

8. Oh my goodness, I remember visiting Shuri castle when I was a kid living in Okinawa!! These beautiful pictures brought back memories. Thank you so much for sharing. The castle is certainly magnificent, but it looked monumental to an impressionable 8-year-old.

I will probably never get there so I am grateful for this virtual immersion. Enjoy it, Rommel, and have a safe flight home!

10. Wow, the buildings are all red. Great captures of those architecture designs! I hope you had the best of times in Okinawa.

11. Sun says:

gosh, i just love the clean look from this culture. that last photo with just the room and floor mat – was it once living space? love the minimalist look and that reminds me… i must throw out a bunch of junk! so glad you found some time to visit this historical place – thanks! ☺

12. Sun says:

oh, and the Old Woman on a Bicycle blog – what a great find. she definitely is inspirational!

13. Hey Rommel, how’s the weather in Okinawa these days? We have a few weeks free in January, and trying to find some warmer than Seoul options. :)

Not too shabby. :D I just did kayaking then took a swim afterwards last week. The rain comes from time to time. but overall it’s warm during the day then a little bit chilly at night. I don’t know about January though. It shouldn’t be of a drastic change than what we have now.

• Really, wow! Cuz I’ve been checking temp, and it says about 23 degrees as a high. Is it really warm enough to swim? Cuz the pictures I’ve seen of the waters around Okinawa are soooo beautiful! I definitely want to go when we can take a dip!

14. johanesjonaz says:

What a beautiful architecture ! The evidence of high quality of art and beauty if Japan’s dynasty.
    You did a great job with this writing, as always!

Thank you. Actually, the restoration is a mixture of what was then and blended with what Okinawa has acquired or has been continue from when it was during RyuKyu period.

Rommel, thank you so much for showing this. For those of us karateka we hold a tremendous amount of respect for the traditions and origins out karate.

I remember you were the one who knows and mentioned about Okinawa being the birthplace of karate. Glad you liked Shuri Castle as it’s very associated with that.

16. Rommel it’s been sooo long since I’ve last visited your site! Still fresh photos and words! :)

17. I’m really glad you didn’t miss such a spectacular place. It is sometimes difficult to gauge the size of a building in a photo, but it looks really large to me. Is it? It’s very impressive. I can sense that you really connected to this landmark Castle, and Okinawa as a whole appears to be such a unique and culturally rich place! Your photos of the detail on the Castle are really nice!

The whole area is really spacious. The castle is bigger than my apartment :D but not so big, I guess, compared to others. Not visiting Shuri castle is like going to California without going to San Francisco, LA or San Diego. ;)

18. Awesome pics of this amazing place, Rommel. The sense of history when visiting here, must be almost tangible. Those dragons are really special. They would make nice pets, I think. :)

19. poppytump says:

What a place Rommel ! So pristine and such views over the city by the looks of it . I can hear from your all words this trip has been something special to you .
    Love your golden dragons shot :-)

It’s special because Japan is very associated with castle and temple. Sadly, There are only a few here in Okinawa. So really, visiting Shuri Catle is a must for me, especially they turned down my request of going to Tokyo and Kyoto. :( Oh well, I’ll make the best out of Okinawa.

20. restlessjo says:

From one amazing place to another, Rommel! Your photos are a joy! :)

21. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

So so neat, clean. And it looks so peaceful. Just beautiful. Great experience, Rommel – & wonderful photos.

Looks and sounds like an amazing place Rommel! Thank you for showing us a Japan that we will likely never see.

You can tell just be looking at your photos that there is a spiritual feel to this setting, something I very much appreciate about the Eastern ways. Enjoy your remaining time in Japan Rommel.

24. […] The most prominent one, because it was reconstructed after World War II, is the palace of Shuri. […]