Home » California » Solvang, California

Solvang, California

Took a half day tour to Solvang, California in Santa Barbara, coomunity of Santa Ynez Valley.

First, I drove passing along the oh-so beautiful Pacific Coast Highway.

My first stop was an early morning quick and easy hike to Nojoqui Falls. The first time I was here the waterfall was dry. But now look!

With all the talk about California suffering from drought, it’s nice to know that there’s water trinkling down this waterfall.

For those of you who are planning to come here, it is better to do so afterit rained. Also, don’t miss the exit from the highway. This place is somewhat secluded.

See it without the water – Throwback Thursday: Weather Woes

Then I headed to Solvang for a bit o’Denmark.

Solvang is one of the places where I get to get my European travel fix.

Unlike most California travel destinations, parking here if free.

It’s a”Little Denmark” in California.

I sampled me some chocolates while over here, and bought me some ice cream. There’s free ice cream tasting too but I knew what I wanted. Plenty more good food including of course their signature, duh, danish pastry.

At night, everything is illuminated! Including the trees and the houses.

Moving on, a little bit of walk and I got to Santa Ynez Mission. This is the eighth mission I visited.

Although this time, I didn’t enter the inside.

Last, driving back I stopped to a couple of vistas to see Cachuma Lake.

It’s actually an artificial lake used as water basin.

Last Call…

Returning back, I continued driving down the scenic though zig-zaggy Chumash Highway.

A fulfilling half day, I think. :D

Here’s to a blog who is outstanding in combining awesome images with very fitting and beautiful words – Darla Welcher’s Through The Lens.

1. Shofar says:

What a nice treat, so picturesque! Lucky traveler, you!

I love Solvang, like a little European town… I visited there a couple of times back in 2006. Beautiful photos, Rommel!

3. Angeline M says:

I can’t believe I’ve never been to Solvang. Thanks for the tour!

Try to remember if ever you drive far down to South. :D Even a quick stop here will do. Although, I think ,ost of the cutesy shops attract window shoppers esp. the ladies. :D

4. restlessjo says:

I enjoyed our trip, thanks, Rommel :) A Danish town in Cal. How very strange!

It IS strange. That was I thought too when I first came here. Jo, that was going to be ending – I hope you enjoyed our tour. I changed my mind because it feels like self-campaigning so I just made it simple.

5. What a beautiful town. Thank you for the tour.

6. placestheygo says:

Great day! You most definitely need water to make visiting waterfall worth it. Glad the area recently had rain for you journey.

Cute town! You didn’t show us any pastry:(

Water still looks low in the lake. Sure hope more rain is coming your way to ease the drought.

Oh that is exactly why I went back to Solvang. The next weekend I came back from Japan, it rained and off I went!
      I know plenty of people from different parts of the world wants winter to be over but yeah, California is drying. I have a feeling it’s going be a really hot summer too.

7. ronarruejo says:

I go to Solvang, and also Chumash casino, w/n the same trip: Solvang during the day and Chumash during the afternoon/night. Glad you enjoyed the area.

8. Yeah, what happen to the Danish pastry? We liked Solvang, and the town makes you feel you are in Denmark. Now, I never knew about that waterfall, and there is really water falling that was a good find.

I found out about from a Californian hiker and blogger. The danish didn’t the light of the camera’s flash. It was down in a jiffy. :lol:

9. Colline says:

I love the little Danish-like village. I would never have thought California would have such a treasures what a pleasure to eat some Danish while looking at those European style buildings.

10. Those are some pretty great photos. Love the houses. I have always adored such type of construction ! :)

11. It really does look like a miniature European village!

12. The waterfall is something I didn’t know about. Thanks for sharing.

It is quite a bit hidden. First you’re on the highway. Next thing you know you’re driving in a country-like road. Then hidden somewhere is this waterfall. It is a treasure. :D

13. Lovely waterfall, Rommel. The architecture in Solvang is really charming. Sounds like you had a great day, with delicious treats. The drive is a very scenic one indeed. :)

14. I love Solvang! Such a quaint little town in the heart of wine country. Great shots and it sounds like you had the perfect half-day adventure, Rommel!

15. amekay says:

Reblogged this on Not for the Faint of Heart. and commented:
    Love this

16. It seems to me that you were just in Japan and now I see you are in Solvang, You really get around, kid.

17. I am very familiar with Solvang, but I don’t know Nojoqui Falls. That’s a must for next time. We just returned from Lompoc and the beautiful Santa Barbara County wineries…drove through Solvang, but it was on a holiday and the crowds were a little intense. Again…next time! :-)

Hopefully there’s water on it when you plan to go there. My next time is to stop at the Ostrich Land to try to feed giant ostrich there.

18. Kelly Grace says:

I’ve forgotten about Solvang!!! We used to stop there on the way to Newport Beach. Time for a Spring Road Trip.
    Safe travels and keep the tips coming:)

You go to such lovely places, thanks for taking me along :-)

How lovely Rommel…something so different just there

21. When I read your post name, I thought: “Solvang, that must be a Scandinavian name”. My first thought was that it was something related to Norway, but Denmark is close enough – we were even the same country once! :)

The weird name gave it away. Something obviously different in this part of California with that name, Solvang. :D

• Solvang consists of two words: sol and vang.
        Sol means sun, while vang means enclosure, but vang also has a lot of synonyms: area, slope, meadow, field, ground, land, terrain, soil.
        Solvang is also a family name in Norway (perhaps also in Denmark, but I don’t know that for sure).

22. johanesjonaz says:

I like the houses :)

Sounds like a wonderful day indeed! What a charming town, and the lake and surrounds are so picturesque.

24. Sun says:

thanks for sharing this quaint town (and waterfall) …love your photograph with the windmill. So what flavor ice cream did you enjoy this time? :P

25. PACMedia says:

I went here once with my family when I was younger. I recently passed through the town via Amtrak stop on the way further north. It was as surreal as I remembered. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

26. My sister recently got married in Solvang – it’s such a fun little town! Great photos! Celeste :)